Task card 6
Bulk XML upload
The Data Exchange home page
When you log in to the Data Exchange web-based portal as an Administrator, the screen options below will appear. Reference data and Uploaded files are accessible via the My Organisation box.
Figure 1 – The Data Exchange home page
Reference data section
The Reference data section is only for those organisations that perform bulk uploads into the Data Exchange.
Files that contain all the Data Exchange codes can be downloaded through Reference data.
- Select >Reference Data on the Data Exchange home page to download data fields from Data Exchange.
- The Reference data screen displays.
Figure 2 – Reference data screen
Reference Data administration functions
File upload XML schema
It is recommended that this file is downloaded every 3 months, so that any changes to the validation rules in the Data Exchange are up to date.
This file defines the validation rules for bulk upload, for your organisation to validate your own bulk data XML file against.
- Select Download XML schema
- Select to either Save or Open the DEXFileUpload.xsd file
It is recommended that this file is downloaded every 3 months, so that any changes to data codes in the Data Exchange are up to date in your system.
This file contains all the data codes for the clients, cases, sessions and SCORE assessment.
- Select Download reference data
- Select to either Save or Open the DEXReferenceData.xml file
Outlets and Programmes activities data
It is recommended that this file is downloaded whenever there are changes to outlets or program activities so that any changes to data codes in the Data Exchange are up to date in your system.
This file is relevant to your organisation only as it contains your outlets and program activities.
- Select Download Outlets and Programme activities data
- Select to either Save or Open the OutletActivityData.xml file
Organisation Activity data
This file is only relevant to organisations that choose to create their outlets via bulk XML upload.
It is recommended that this file is downloaded whenever an organisation creates new outlets or receives new program activities so that any changes to data codes are up to date.
- Select Download Organisation Activity data
- Select to either Save or Open the OrganisationActivityData.xml file
Uploaded Files section
Uploaded files are for organisations that perform bulk upload into the Data Exchange.
The maximum file size that can be uploaded at a time is 10MB. Bulk uploading your data on a regular basis, rather than all at once, will help avoid going over this limit.
- Select >Uploaded Files on the Data Exchange home page to upload a new .xml file.
- The Uploaded files screen displays.
Figure 3 – Uploaded files screen
- Select UPLOAD NEW FILE.
- The Upload new file screen displays.
Figure 4 – Upload new file box
- Select Browse… to choose your .xml file that you wish to upload.
- Select the file and select Open.
- Use the Comments field to add additional information about the file as needed.
- Select SUBMIT.
Figure 5 – Uploaded files screen
The file will show the status of Successful once it has been successfully uploaded.
- There may be some instances your file status can be Successful with a Warning to flag that addresses, or multiple addresses, were modified slightly in order to pass validation. These changes can be viewed on the Warning Report.
- If the file did not upload completely, the status will show Failed. The records that failed can be viewed on the Error Report.
To view the report:
- Select to access the report.
- Select the report name hyperlink to open the file and view the errors that have occurred.
Access to staging/testing environment
It is mandatory for software vendors of organisations that are going to be using system-to-system as their data upload method to apply for access to the staging/testing environment. This is to ensure that the data will perform correctly prior to live upload to the Data Exchange environment. Please liaise with your software vendors to ensure that the system you are intending to use is compatible and required testing has been completed.
Access for the staging/testing environment can be requested via the Data Exchange Helpdesk email@example.com
Back up data files
It is recommended for organisations to save a copy and back up their data prior to live upload into the Data Exchange. This is to ensure that data is not lost if there has been a problem with the upload process.
If you experience errors during the download process please contact the Data Exchange Helpdesk firstname.lastname@example.org